Artikels

Quinnebaug I - Geskiedenis

Quinnebaug I - Geskiedenis



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Quinnebaug I

(ScSlp: t. 1,113; 1, 216'0 "; b. 30'0"; dr. 12 '; s. 7 k. Cpl. 122;
a. 1 60-pdr. P.r., 4 32-pdr., L 20-pdr.)

Die eerste Quinnebaug, 'n oorlogskroef wat deur die New York Navy Yard gebou is, is op 31 Maart 1866 van stapel gestuur, SpOIIsored bv Lt. Comdr. David B. Harmony, en in opdrag van 19 Julie 1867, kom dr. Edward Barrett in bevel.

Die nuwe kanonboot het 31 Augustus 1807 uit New York vertrek en amper drie jaar langs die Atlantiese kus van Suid -Amerika gery voordat sy op 18 Julie 1870 na Norfolk teruggekeer het.


Quinebaugrivier

Die Quinebaugrivier is 'n rivier in die suid-sentrale Massachusetts en oostelike Connecticut, met 'n waterskeiding tot in die westelike Rhode Island. Die naam "Quinebaug" kom van die inheemse Amerikaanse term in New England, wat op verskillende maniere gespel word Qunnubbâgge, Quinibauge, ens., wat "lang dam" beteken, van qunni-, "lank", en -pootjie, "dam". [1] Die rivier is een van die naamgenome riviere in die Quinebaug en Shetucket Rivers Valley National Heritage Corridor.


Quinnebaug I - Geskiedenis

Die geskiedenis van Big Alum Lake

IN DIE BEGIN
deur Louis E. Roy, M.D.

In 1976 het wyle Louis E. Roy, M. D. die volgende geskiedenis van Big Alum Lake geskryf in reaksie op versoeke van inwoners. Dr Roy was die skrywer van verskeie historiese publikasies en was 'n lewenslange somer.

'Om 'n lewensbelangrike geskiedenis van 'n lewelose voorwerp te skryf, is soms moeilik, maar nie met die onderwerp nie.

Of ons kyk na die legendariese oorsprong van “Pookhookapaug Pond ”, of die geologiese vorming daarvan tydens die ystydperk sowat 10 000 jaar gelede, elkeen is romanties en op sy eie manier interessant.

Eers die wetenskaplike verhaal.
Toe die Great Wisconsin-gletser ongeveer 8000 vC noordwaarts begin terugtrek van hierdie deel van New England, het dit 'n geweldige verandering op die terrein gelaat en baie sogenaamde geologiese rotsblokke op ons lande neergelê.

Die groot klippe wat skynbaar op ons landskap besaai lê, is uit Noord -Kanada, Alaska en ander noordelike punte afgevoer en agtergelaat toe die ys gesmelt het. As u hierdie rotsblokke sien wat langs die oewers van Big Alum lê, soos die groot, wat deur verskeie generasies kinders met liefde '#147Table Rock' genoem word, en deur hulle gebruik word as 'n speelplek naby die Pratt -huis in die ooste oewer, onthou dat u kyk na verplaasde natuurwerke, die groot beeldhouer. Hulle is daar geplaas as deel van 'n groter plan wat ons almal kan geniet!

Die proses om ons meer te vorm, behels erosie, krake en versplintering van groot hoeveelhede rots en grondbeweging, met die gevolglike steil kranse van Dan, diep watergebiede, 'n verskeidenheid strandgebiede, van geleidelike sanderige tot skerp afloop, en 'n ooglopend vrugbare bo -grond wat 'n oorvloedige flora en fauna kan voed. Dit alles dra by tot die pragtige Big Alum, 'n ware juweel in die handwerk van die natuur!

Die nie so wetenskaplike legende oor die oorsprong van Pookhookapaug Pond is meer aanloklik deur mnr. Allen Faxon beskryf dit in 1900 (met vergunning van Emily B. Faxon):

Die legende
Op die heuwel aan die noordelike punt van die vallei waar die dam vernou, het daar eens 'n stam Indiane gewoon. Die sachem van hierdie stam was Nennepecannough, en hy het 'n dogter gehad met die naam Oolnah. Dit is vanselfsprekend dat sy pragtig was en natuurlik trek sy die aandag van baie wellustige jong dappers vir kilometers ver, waarvan elkeen al sy wampum sou gegee het om die gesogte prys aan sy wigwam af te dra.

Die jong vrou, soos baie ander jong vroue, het alle vordering afgeweer. Dit het gelyk asof sy gedoem was om 'n ou diensmeisie te word. Maar voorkoms was selfs op daardie tydstip bedrieglik: sy het haar lot nie ontmoet nie. Uiteindelik kom daar egter 'n dapper jong scalper uit die Ooste om die sachem te besoek en 'n soort verdrag op te maak. Hierdie Indiese naam was Macondah. Die verhaal sê dat hy oornag by die ou hoofman gesit het. Daar was Oolnah. Dit was 'n geval van liefde met die eerste oogopslag. Haar hart was daarna nooit haar eie nie.

Toe die tyd van Macondah se vertrek aanbreek, toe die feeste, danse en speletjies verby was, en die prinslike ambassadeur van 'n magtige nasie, met sy troonopvolging op die punt was om afskeid te neem, het die groot kopveljagter Macondah vorentoe gestaan ​​en gesê, ‘ Groot vader en hoof van 'n nasie van krygers! Macondah is op die punt om na die land van sy vaders te vertrek om vir hulle te sê dat hy die Mogansets met reguit tonge, groot harte en oop hande gevind het: dat hy saam met hulle geëet het, saam met hulle gedrink het en saam met hulle die kalm van vrede gerook het. Macondah is gereed vir sy lang reis huis toe met baie sonne. Maar sodra sy pad weer deur die bos kronkel, sou hy 'n seën verlang. Terwyl hy in die lodge van die groot kaptein was, het sy oog gekyk na die pragtige vorm van Oolnah, wie se stem soos die musiek van lopende waters is. Sy gehoor het sag geword soos 'n vrou in die rigting van die blinkoogmeisie, en hy sou haar na sy verste lodge bring om die vrou te word van iemand wat eendag trots en gelukkig is om die eer van 'n dapper opperhoof. ’

Hierdie toespraak was skynbaar nie gunstig nie, te oordeel na die frons van die ander krygers wat ook vryers was vir die skoonmeisie. Die hoof lees hierdie frons en antwoord dat die seën groter is as wat hy kon gee. Macondah was baie verbaas oor hierdie antwoord en mompel iets oor die onwaardigheid van so 'n blink lot. Hy draai hartseer weg toe Oolnah self, wat die gesprek gehoor het, statig en koninginagtig uitkom en tussen haar pa en haar geliefde staan: 'Die ore van Oolnah was oop: sy het gehoor hoe die dapper Macondah 'n seën verlang wat die groot owerste van die Mogansets wou nie toegee nie. Laat Oolnah se stem by Macondah aansluit, want sy sou saam met hom gaan wat haar hart sou wegneem. Macondah gaan alleen! Oolnah sal nooit meer die musiek van die voëls hoor nie, die wind en die stroompies, want daar is geen musiek vir haar wat sonder hart is nie. alle vreugde is in die hart en Macondah het die hart van Oolnah. ’

Daarop bel die hoof 'n raad en laat Macondah wag. Die jong prins verbeter die geleentheid om met sy geliefde te praat en planne te maak vir die toekoms. Die geliefdes was bang vir 'n ongunstige besluit. Gevolglik het hulle besluit om nie uitmekaar te bly nie. As Macondah sonder Oolnah vertrek, sou hy om middernag terugkeer na die groot fontein by die eik in die vallei, waar sy hom sou ontmoet en hulle vir ewig by hul lot sou aansluit.

Die beoordelaars het besluit dat die geliefdes moet skei, om nooit weer op die doodstraf te vergader nie. Daar is afskeid geneem en die krygers het vertrek. Maar toe hulle buite die dorp was, skiet Macondah 'n bloedbevlekte pyl in die kamp as teken dat die verdrag verbreek is.

Daardie aand het Macondah opgestaan ​​en teruggesteel na die besoekplek om sy geliefde te ontmoet. Dit was 'n mooi plek aan die voet van 'n groot eikebome. Oolnah gesteel stil weg van haar lodge, maar word agterna deur 'n jaloerse mededinger gevolg, wat haar voorneme was.

Die liefhebbers ontmoet mekaar teen die lente en jaag mekaar se arms in. Die mededinger hardloop agter Macondah aan en steek hom in die rug. Macondah het dood geval. Oolnah het so gehuil dat die hele dorp opgewek is en na die toneel gehaas. Hulle kry die arme meisie wat oor die lyk van haar minnaar staan ​​wat die bloedige mes vashou. In 'n paar plegtige woorde het sy haar vader losgemaak vir sy wreedheid om hulle te probeer skei. Met 'n kreet na Macondah steek sy die mes in haar eie hart en val terug in die fontein langs haar geliefde.

Terwyl almal ontsteld staan, word daar onder gerommel, die aarde het gehuil en geskud, daarna oopgegaan en gesink en alles saamgeneem. Die helder waters rol oor die angswekkende toneel om die vlek van misdaad en bloed weg te was. "

Dit is die oorsprong van die Pookhookapaug -meer. Ek het nog nooit 'n tomahawk of boog en pyltjie getrek tydens visvang om die waarheid van hierdie legende te bevestig nie. ” “A. H. Faxon ”

Om terug te keer na die werklikheid en die opgetekende geskiedenis, is die eerste inligting wat relevant lyk, die name van die plaaslike Indiese hoofman en vroeë blanke setlaars in die onmiddellike omgewing van die dam.

In 1644 verleen die Algemene Hof van Massachusetts Bay Colony aan John Winthrop Jr. die reg om silwer uit grafieterts by Tantiusques te ontgin. Die gebied is so genoem omdat dit aan die sachem Tantaquieson of Tantaquidgeon behoort het (laasgenoemde spelling is waarskynlik meer akkuraat).

Hierdie myn was geleë in 'n gebied naby wat tans bekend staan ​​as Leadmine Pond. Uiteindelik het mnr. Winthrop ook ongeveer 4 myl grond rondom die myn aangeskaf. Die erts is in vate oor land vervoer na Springfield, per boot na Boston gereis en daarna na Engeland gestuur vir verwerking. Die toets van die erts het slegs 12 tot 15 pond silwer per ton opgelewer, en die projek is gou laat vaar. Tydens die bedryf van die myn bestaan ​​daar egter 'n rekord van die eerste blanke man wat in Sturbridge gewoon het. Hy was William Diens, opsiener by die myn. 'N Faktuur van 9 November 1658 bestaan ​​nog vir die voorraad wat hy op daardie dag van 'n Springfield -handelaar, John Pynchon, ontvang het.

Op 27 September 1655 kry eerwaarde John Eliot, die apostel van die Indiane, 'n stuk grond van 1000 hektaar, naby die westelike oewer van die Pookhookapaug -dam. Eerwaarde Eliot is nie net bekend om sy afvallige nie, maar ook omdat hy die Bybel in die Algonquin -taal vertaal het. Die plaaslike Indiane, waarskynlik minder sachems, wat die grond aan Eliot gegee het, was Wattalloowekin (benaderde betekenis: ”draai van die water naby die heuwel ”) en Nahan (benaderde betekenis “island ".).

Die plot is deur John Chandler ondersoek en die Algemene Hof bevestig die toekenning aan die erfgename van John Eliot in 1715. Die dam word Pookookappog genoem op die amptelike opname kaart van 1715. Die regte spelling moes waarskynlik Poohookapaug gewees het, wat beteken#147 dam waar ons tabak gerook het. ”

'N Ingenieursopname wat in 1828 gedoen is, bied interessante inligting vir die vermoede oor die hidrodinamika of “ sirkulasie ” van die lewensbloed van ons onderwerp. 'N Kaart wat die opnameverslag aan die Senaat van Massachusetts vergesel, toon ons dam met die etiket “Allum Pond ”. In die plaaslike Indiese taal sou dit 'n hond beteken, maar teen 1828 was die Indiane lankal nie meer belangrik in die plaaslike bevolking nie. (Sien aanhangsel D, figuur A-2). Die opname is gedoen met betrekking tot 'n voorgestelde kanaal om van Boston na die Connecticut -rivier te loop via die Blackstone -kanaal, Quinebaugrivier, dan by Sturbridge na South Pond, Podunk Pond en die Quabaugrivier. Daar sou 'n reeks slotte wees om bote tussen die Quinebaugrivier en die Suiddam te verhoog. Die kanaal het nooit gerealiseer nie, omdat 'n gelyktydige opname vir 'n spoorlyn meer realisties was en die Boston, Worcester en Western Railroads tot gevolg gehad het.

Die kaart toon Allum -dam met 'n spruit wat suidwaarts na die Quinebaugrivier vloei en 'n ander een wat noordwaarts na die Quabaugrivier stroom deur middel van verskeie klein damme in Brookfield. Die relatiewe hoogte dui aan dat die watervloei waarskynlik in beide rigtings weg was van die Allum -dam, met die vinniger afdraande na die suide. Die noordwaartse spruit is dieselfde wat nou op die moderne geodediese kaarte genoem word en begin in 'n moeras agter die skiereiland aan die oostelike oewer.

Big Alum, wat 'n meer is, het 'n unieke geleentheid om die kwaliteit van sy water te reguleer, as sy inwoners net let op die stelsel wat deur die natuur ingestel is om weg te vloei van die meer en nie daarin nie! Waarskynlik 'n ongewone reëling, maar een wat die herinnering aan Oolnah en Macondah waardig is!

Beers Atlas van 1870 noem die meer ‘Alum Pond ’. Dit wys Arnold ’s Cove aan die oostelike oewer, Fay ’s in die noorde en Bemis in die suide. Mount Dan verskyn op die kaart. Daar is 'n saagmeul op die uitlaatspruit na die suidweste, maar geen ander spruit word getoon nie. Daar is geen geboue op die meer nie.

Die eerste bewys van die gebruik van Alum Pond vir ontspanning is op 'n baie interessante manier permanent bewaar. Op die voorste grasperk van die eiendom wat tans besit word deur dr. En mev. Louis E. Roy op “ The Point ” is 'n geografiese rotsblok wat in die grond naby die noordwestelike hoek van die kamp ingeplant is. Op die plat oppervlak, na die suide, in letters diep gebeitel in die klip, is die volgende inskripsie: “CAMP KABIBINOKA 1874 ". In die herinnering aan die skrywer was hierdie inskripsie al minstens 50 jaar daar en het oud gelyk. selfs toe hy die eerste keer onthou dat hy dit as 'n kind gesien het. Dit is redelik om aan te neem dat dit waarskynlik die eerste kampterrein op Big Alum was, maar daar is geen bewyse dat 'n permanente gebou op hierdie perseel gebou is nie en die volgende paragrawe na die eerste kampeerekspedisie, word geen melding gemaak van 'n vorige kampplek nie.

Die eerste aangetekende kampeerekspedisie by Alum Pond is die volgende in die woorde van A. H. Faxon: Ek onthou hoe vyf van ons op 2 Julie 1890 van Spencer af gekom het om Alum Pond te sien. Die dag was warm en stowwerig en na ons loop van 13 kilometer was ons bly om te sit en ons aandete te eet. Die eerste ding wat ek gedoen het, was om af te trek en in die koel, helder water te duik. Ons was 'n bietjie teleurgesteld in die grootte van Alum, en dit het net een eiland. Ons het egter besluit om daar te kampeer en die oostekant gekies as die beste plek om ons tente op te slaan. ’

Die vyf hierbo genoem was Allan H. Faxon, Charles E. Dunton, Lewis W. Dunton, Milleris W. Prouty en LeRoy Ames, destyds almal jong volwassenes. By die geleentheid is foto's geneem.

Die eerste permanente kamp wat by Big Alum gebou is, was die Log Cabin “Camp Dan ” wat in 1890 deur die vyf genoemde persone in die oorspronklike kampeerekspedisie begin is, met die toevoeging van Henry B. Montague en Lynus Bacon. Mnr. Faxon en Montague sou later prominent wees in die gemeenskapslewe van Southbridge. Ames was 'n professor aan die Universiteit van Clark. Die Dunton -broers, Prouty en Bacon, was sakemanne in Spencer en Boston. Die kajuit is gebou met stompe gemaak van dennebome wat deur die heer Adams aan die westelike oewer van die meer gesny is. Hulle is met 'n slee na sy wateraangedrewe saagmeule gebring, 'n entjie daarvandaan op Brookfieldweg aan die ander kant van die berg Dan. Die konstruksie bestaan ​​uit vierkantige stompe en planke en bestaan ​​uit twee kamers-een bo en een onder. 'N Foto wys dit in sy vroeë dae. ”

Richards Topografiese Atlas van Sturbridge vir 1898 noem ons meer ‘Pookookapog of Alum Pond. Dit toon ook nege huisies, waarvan drie geïdentifiseer is. Die enigste een aan die oostelike oewer is die een wat tans deur die skrywer besit word, en word gelys as die eiendom van ‘N. St. John ’. Daar is een aan die suidelike oewer, nie geïdentifiseer nie. Toe een net wes van die huidige staatsperseel wat geïdentifiseer is as ‘S. F. Bemis ’. 6 ander kloksgewys langs die westelike oewer beweeg, die volgende twee in volgorde onbekend, dan ‘G. H. Hartwell ’ en daarna nog drie ongeïdentifiseerde. (Die laaste moet die houthuis wees, Camp Dan.)

Teen die jaar 1900 was daar minstens 16 huisies op die meer. Teen 1916 was daar 35 en teen die jongste telling in 1976 was daar 149, waarvan ongeveer een derde koshuise die hele jaar deur is. Laat ons hoop dat ons 'n vlak in hoeveelheid bereik het, en laat ons ons nou inspan in pogings wat daarop gemik is om die kwaliteit van wat ons het, te behou.

As hierdie opsomming van die geskiedenis van ons ryk erfenis iets gedoen het om ons te help om meer waardering te hê vir wat die natuur nagelaat het, dan was die moeite wat gedoen is, die moeite werd. ”


Quinnebaug I - Geskiedenis

Voordat die eerste wol- en amp -katoenmeulens in die laat 1780's en vroeë 1800's ontstaan ​​het, was die stad hoofsaaklik 'n landbou -eenheid wat verdeel was in 4 samelewings, South Parish, North Parish, East Parish en West Parish. Daar was maalmeule, saagmeulens, vulmeulens, bruin werwe, 'n distilleerdery en 'n paar winkels om in elke gemeente te voorsien. Ook meubelmakers, skoenmakers en tavernes, ens., Maar almal klein besighede en gewoonlik in hul huise. Die meulens het gekom omdat ons groot potensiaal met waterkrag gehad het: die Quinebaug -rivier, die Five Mile -rivier en die Whetstone -spruit wat baie meulens ondersteun het weens die geweldige daling in die hoogte, al was dit net 'n klein spruit. Die meule -eienaars het huise vir hul werkers en 'n maatskappywinkel gebou. Baie van die meulens het 'n plaas gehad en het ook landerye gehad waar die werkers hul eie tuine kon hê. Die winkel het 'n kruideniersware -afdeling en die meulmaatskappy het die goedere voorsien en verskeie winkeliers, wat mekaar daar opgevolg het, het die goedere teen 'n klein winskommissie verkoop. Al hierdie winkeliers het 'n klerk in diens geneem wat bestellings tussen die fabriekshuise geneem en die afleweringswa gehardloop het.

Dit was die geboorteplek van Charles Tiffany, wat later mede-stigter was van Tiffany & amp Co. in New York, juweliers. Sy vader was Comfort Tiffany, wat ongeveer 1820 'n meul aan die westekant van die Quinebaug -rivier gebou het.

Meulwerk was lang ure (69 uur werkweek in 1850) vir min salaris. Die lone van die katoenbedryf in 1831 was:

1,50 per week vir kinders jonger as tien jaar, wat die grootste deel van die werknemers uitmaak.

Werknemers is op Saterdag vrygelaat. om 15:30 gedurende die somer, sodat hulle huis toe kan gaan en werk in die tuinpersele wat deur die meul aangewys is.

Kinders het natuurlik nie skoolgegaan as hulle in die meulens gewerk het nie. Maar dit is reggestel toe skoolwette aangeneem is, wat voorsiening maak vir die opvoeding van kinders wat in die nywerheid betrokke is. Die tekstielbedryf het meer vroue en kinders in diens as die ander vervaardigingsinstellings, die werk was skoon en lig.

Vroeg was al die meulwerkers plaaslike mense. Die vroue in hul huise het geweef, want die meulens, seuns en meisies het in die meulens gewerk en gedraai.

Die tydperk wat dateer uit die oprigting van die eerste katoenmeul hier In 1809/10 tot ongeveer 1840 word gekenmerk deur matige houtmeulens, hurkende woonhuise en ietwat onbeskofte meulmasjinerie, gedeeltelik van hout. Vervoer was perde en osse en reis was hoofsaaklik per verhoogafrigter. Stage coaches het tussen Hartford & amp Providence en Norwich en Worcester gehardloop.

Met die koms van die spoorweg in 1840 het dorpe rondom die depots in Danielsonville en Dayville grootgeword. Waar die meulens gebou is, het dorpe ook gegroei. Daar is hotelle gebou, winkels, smede, gieterye, skoenwinkels, 'n bakkery, vleisonderneming, bylfabriek en vervaardiging van steensteen het almal in die stad begin. Timmermanne en bouers was broodnodig, tandartse, prokureurs, kleermakers, naaldwerkers en dokters het opgedaag. Nie alle immigrante was meulwerkers nie. Sommige van hulle het hul eie ondernemings geopen, en baie ander ondernemings het Franssprekende klerke gehuur om mense te help. Franssprekende dokters het in die stad aangekom. Dr. Archambeau, Dr. Laurent Giguere en nog vele meer. In 1848 is die eerste uitgawe van die Windham County Telegraph gepubliseer.

Daar was baie Millinery -winkels en Valeria Goyette wat uit Kanada gekom het, het in 1886 haar eie fabriek in Danielson geopen. Sy het met Joseph Cyr getrou en haar besigheid as Madame Cyr aangegaan, en so suksesvol geword dat sy in 1893 haar eie gebou, die Cyr -blok, kon oprig, wat vandag nog in Danielson staan.

Uitgebreide baksteenwerke is in Dayville deur die Alexander -gesin en die Quinebaug -baksteenwerf in E. Brooklyn uitgevoer. Hierdie bakstene is gebruik om baie, baie geboue te bou, nie net hier nie, maar ook op ander plekke. Mei 1871 — Die baksteenwerf van mnr. Luther Alexander het 60 000 stene per dag in sy fabriek, en kan amper nie in hierdie tempo aan die vraag voldoen nie.

In die 1820's is daar steengroewe in gebruik, maar die enigste manier om hul produk op die mark te bring, is per wa wat deur osse of perde getrek word. Toe die spoorlyn eers deurkom, was dit baie makliker om goedere te vervoer. As gevolg van die meulgroei en die spoorlyn het die vier gemeentes (of dorpe) in Killingly 7 dorpe geword en dan klein gedeeltes in die dorpe, hul eie identiteit.

In ongeveer 1845 is 'n telegraaflyn langs die westekant van die spoorlyn aangebring. Die uitvinding was toe 'n onlangse en opgewonde nuuskierigheid, want op hierdie datum het nuwe en oënskynlik wonderlike dinge mekaar nie so vinnig opgevolg dat dit die persepsie van nuuskierigheid, wat altyd teenwoordig was en dikwels sterk was by die generasie, verdoof het nie. Die enkele lyn was voldoende tot die tyd van die burgeroorlog en daarna is 'n kantoor in 1860 geopen.

The Gold Rush - In 1849 het ons 'n groep mans uit ons omgewing en 'n paar uit die distrik New London wat die Quinebaug Gold Company gestig het, en hulle het 'n sloep, die Alfred, uit New London gekoop en om die horing gevaar na Kalifornië. Al die letters is in ons papier gedruk, en ek het dit alles oorgekopieer en in 'n boek gesit. George W. Spaulding, 'n lid van die groep, het 'n gesprek gevoer toe hy teruggekeer het huis toe.

In die vroeë 1850's het die vloei van goud uit Kalifornië na die Ooste meer as gewoonlik floreer.

Dan, in September 1860, is daar die volgende in die koerant: Die oorlas van die goudgeld wat almal in die nag, of as hulle 'n halwe duim afgee, gaan opgehou word deur 'n bevel van die sekretaris van die tesourie. Drie miljoen van hulle word nou gesmelt en herontwerp in dubbele arende, wat egter dubbel ongerieflik sal wees, vanweë die moeilikheid om dit te bekom, en van hul gewig en lompheid as dit kom.

In Mei 1894 vind ek dit - 'n Danielsonville -goudmyn is Saterdag in die kelder van 'n koshuis ontdek deur 'n kind wat daar gespeel het en 'n groot hoeveelheid goue muntstukke in die vuil begrawe gevind het. Die muntstukke is gedateer voor die opstand, toe fabriekshulp in goud betaal is. Dit is waarskynlik weggesteek om dit veilig te bewaar. (Ek het geen idee gehad dat hulle goud betaal is nie!)

Die meulwerkers woon in die huise en koshuise wat deur die meulens voorsien is. Byna al hul behoeftes is deur die Company Store en die kerk bevredig. Tog was daar soveel sosiale aktiwiteite buite die klein dorpies dat hulle seker by sommige van hulle moes aangesluit het.

In 1849 is die eerste Windham County Agricultural Fair in Brooklyn gehou, wat 'n groot skare getrek het en vandag nog voortduur.

En die talle mere en damme, selfs die osboog langs die Quinebaug was 'n gunsteling vir pieknieks. Sowel as verskillende bosse in die stad: Madden's Grove in Dayville, Hubbard's Grove in Danielson en ander.

Kerkgroepe en ander organisasies het sosiale aktiwiteite gehou. Mense het na interessante sprekers geluister, straatmusikante is verwelkom, sowel as die hand-orrel verwelkomende lente. En hulle het in die winter baie geniet van ysskaats en slee.

Onafhanklikheidsdag in Killingly in 1850 is gevier in Dayville, met 'n piekniek aan die westekant van Alexander's Pond, terwyl daar in Danielsonville, aan die noordelike punt van Quinebaug Pond, 'n groot Quahaug -gebraai en Chowder was.

1851 - die Bloomer -kostuum is deur een of twee dames in hierdie stad aangeneem, 'n Camilla wat verlede week in North Killingly verskyn het.

Die tydperk van die burgeroorlog was hartseer en verlore - die meeste aktiwiteite en sosiale geleenthede het om die oorlog gegaan: geld insamel en items vir die soldate maak.

25 April 1861 - PATRIOTISME VAN DIE DAMES

By die eerste oproep om hulp van die dames van hierdie dorp om uniforms voor te berei vir die vakbondwagte van Windham County, het hulle dadelik gereageer, en honderde mooi hande en flink vingers was besig om die gemaklike en aantreklike uitrusting vir die onderneming te versier. Die energie en aktiwiteit van die dames die afgelope week sal waardeer word as ons sê dat hulle 350 hemde, 80 broeke en 80 jasse in minder as ses dae gemaak het!

Reeds in Junie 1861 Die klein meulens wat aan die Danielsonville Company behoort, en die een wat aan behoort Meneer Whitmore, bedrywighede gestaak het. Die ander meulens het 'n kort tydjie gehad om die katoen byderhand op te werk, wanneer hulle met alle ander katoenmeulens in die noorde heeltemal ophou, tensy ons huidige probleme gouer aangepas word. Baie van die bedrywighede het huise om na terug te keer, en weens ons posisie as 'n landbou sowel as 'n vervaardigingsland, sal daar minder lyding wees as op baie ander plekke in New England, hoewel daar waarskynlik ook gevalle van gebrek sal wees wat die aandag van die mens vereis.

Ons moet onthou dat daar in daardie dae geen werkloosheidsvergoeding vir diegene sonder werk was nie en dat hulle na ander plekke moes gaan om hulself en hul gesinne te onderhou.

Vroeg in 1862 die werwing en vertrek van die manne wat deel was van die 18de Regiment, Conn. Vols. het begin en die meeste was van die winkels en die meulens in Killingly en Brooklyn.

Selfs tydens die oorlogstyd het mense nuwe vermaaklikhede gevind. Sulky Racing - In Augustus 1861 - Die inwoners van Dayville het 'n nuwe drafbaan binne 'n half kilometer van hul dorp voorberei, en amateur -draf trek getalle byna daagliks op die grond. 'N Ander baan van ½ myl is in April 1870 deur Leander Sayles gebou.

In 1862 het die silwer kleingeld wat in omloop was, uit die openbare oog verdwyn. Mense het gesê die banke het dit gekry. Hulle het dit so styf vasgehou dat dit veertien jaar lank nie weer gesien is nie.

Na die einde van die burgeroorlog was daar verdere materiële vooruitgang, meer meulbou, wat die ou houtmeulens vervang het deur baksteen- en klipmeulens. Die werkersklasse het hul huise begin vul met meubels, prente en musiekinstrumente en in sommige gevalle 'n perd en wa.

Onderwys: Een kamer skoolhuise was in elke distrik rondom die stad, en toe die vroeë meulens inkom, het die dorp die Factory -distrikskoolhuis naby die meeldorp gebou. Dit is deur die stad bestuur. Namate dinge vorder, is daar geselekteerde skole (privaatskole) begin deur individue wat vir die bywoning daarvan aangekla het. En daar is 'n hele aantal op verskillende plekke gehou. West Killingly Institute is in 1837 deur Stowell Weld begin. West Killingly Academy is in 1847 gebou. In 1867 word die Hoërskool Danielsonville in die ou National Bank -gebou geopen, E. R. Brown, skoolhoof, en die onderrig was $ 4,00 vir gewone Engels $ 5,00 vir hoër Engels en $ 1,00 vir tale. 1868 - 'n ander aandskool, ten bate van kinders in Danielsonville wat nie dagskool bywoon nie, is deur 'n paar van ons deurdagte Christenburgers in die bandkamer geopen. Sestig of sewentig kinders, meestal buitelanders, is elke sessie teenwoordig, en 'n groot deel blyk die voordeel van opvoeding te waardeer. In 1872 - mnr. Tetreault, 'n opgevoede heer, open volgende week 'n aandskool in die Hall over Johnson's vleismark. In Maart 1883 sluit die aandskole wat gedurende die herfs en winter gehou is, hierdie week. 'N Goeie getal het van hierdie geleentheid gebruik gemaak, wat hulle so ruimhartig aangebied het deur die maatskappye Quinebaug en Danielsonville. Mary Dexter was die een wat swanger geword het en 'n belangrike rol gespeel het in die inhuldiging van hierdie skole. Die nuwe skoolhuis, die Graded School genoem omdat dit individuele klaskamers het, is in 1871 op School st., Danielsonville, gebou. 'N Privaat kleuterskool is in 1890 begin. Oktober 1890 hou Willis Shippee jr.' N skryfskool.

Die James -skool is in 1889 gebou en geopen en sal ongeveer 350 leerlinge huisves. Engels sal die prominente taal in die skool wees. Protestantse kinders word gratis toegelaat by die gemeenskaplike takke sowel as Katolieke kinders, en by die hoër takke en die tale deur die nodige fooie te betaal.

Godsdiens - Die primêre kerke voor 1840 was die Congregational en die vroeë Baptiste kerk in E. Killingly. Toe emigrante by die meulens kom werk, het verskillende godsdienstige denominasies hul plek in die stad ingeneem. Eers was daar die Iere wat tydens die hongersnood in Ierland gekom het, en later die Franse Kanadese, Poolse, Italianers en vele ander. Die Westfield Congregational Church is omstreeks 1799 in Westfield opgerig en sodra die spoorlyn deurkom en die dorp om die depot grootword, het hulle in 1855 'n nuwe een op die hoek van die Main- en Akademiestraat in Danielsonville opgerig. Die Metodiste -kerk het 'n gebou in 1842 gebou en dit in 1867 verbeter sodat die ou heeltemal verdwyn het met al die verbeterings, die Adventiste het in die 1850's aangekom en die Katolieke mense het 'n mis gehoor deur eerwaarde Michael McCabe, 'n Franciskaner broeder uit Ierland, en die eerste diens is in 'n privaat huis gehou. Hulle het in verskillende sale vergader tot 1864 toe eerwaarde James Quinn die ou Tweede Advent -kapel in Winterstraat gekoop het en dit die eerste St. James -kerk geword het. Die koerant sê: In 1867 het die Katolieke van Danielsonville hul kapel, in Winterstraat, ongeveer 'n sestig voet agter verwyder en 'n nuwe voorkant bygevoeg om hulle groot gemeente te huisves. In November 1867 sal die Katolieke van Danielsonville Thanksgiving Day vier deur die hoeksteen van hul nuwe kerk te lê. Toegang is gratis, maar soos gebruiklik by sulke geleenthede, word van elke persoon verwag om 'n vrywillige aanbod te doen. Die biskop sal die sakrament van bevestiging bedien en op dieselfde dag die Katolieke begraafplaas inwy. Die dank van pastoor en gemeente word betuig aan mnre Sayles en ander van Dayville, wat 'n baie liberale bydrae gelewer het. In Maart 1868 - Die New Catholic Church in Danielsonville is gebou in die vorm van 'n kruis. Dit is 90 by 34, die vlerke nie ingesluit nie. Die buitekant is amper voltooi. Die gebou is 'n netjiese struktuur, maar ons wens dat ons Katolieke vriende nog 'n bietjie bykomstighede kon byvoeg om dit aantrekliker te maak. In Oktober 1869: Die Katolieke van Danielsonville neem reeds maatreëls om 'n manjifieke kerk hier op te rig, een wat alle ander in Eastern Conn. Sal oortref, die huidige gebou, hoewel dit pas voltooi is, maar nie bevredigend is vir baie Katolieke hier nie. Sommige van ons Protestantse burgers, wat hierdie verbeterings wil sien vorder, teken in op die oprigting van die Priesterhuis, en gee meer vryelik vir die nuwe kerk as 'n besluit geneem word om met die onderneming voort te gaan. In 1889 was daar volgens Bayles 1300 Franse Kanadese en 500 Iere in die gemeente St. James. Daar is verskeie gemeenskappe met die kerk verbind. 'N St. John Baptist Society tel ongeveer 100 'n genootskap van die Knights of Columbus het 53 lede The Children of Scapular Society numbers 60 Die genootskap van die Children of Mary het ongeveer 70 jong dames 'n St. Ann 's Society het 51 lede 'n St. Aloysious Society bevat 'n ledetal van 40 en 'n Infant Jesus Society bevat ongeveer 150 kinders.

A mission church at Chestnut hill (E. Killingly), where there were 150 French and a few Irish was supplied by priests from St. James and was held in a hall there.

In the Brooklyn & Hampton missions there are about 250 Irish.

People of the Episcopal faith, came along in the 1860's taking over the West Killingly Academy building which had been closed.

In Apr. 1868 - the Congregational society of Dayville are enlarging their church.

Before the erection of St. Joseph's church in Dayville in 1889, the catholic people from Dayville & Elmville were conveyed by Kennedy's large moving wagon to St. James Church in Danielsonville.

In looking at the census in Killingly over the years I find that the population increased by small amounts until 1830 when it increased by 454 persons from 1820 and in 1850 it increased by 850 persons. After the Civil War things started to boom again and in 1870 the census increased by 786 people. 1880 saw a huge increase of 1,209 people and in 1900 the largest for the century of 1,808 people. Mills and businesses were booming.

About 1889 there were 1,866 Americans in the Borough of Danielson and 1,346 French Canadians.

9 Mar. 1865 - MADAME M. PARKER – THE NARAGANSET INDIAN DOCTRESS of Providence, R.I., has opened an Office at her residence on Christian Hill, Danielsonville, where she can be consulted upon all diseases that afflicts the human family.

July 1870 In the summer it was not only HOT but the dust was almost unbearable. Some people wanted to know why our main thoroughfare cannot be wet down twice a week?

In the 4 Aug. 1870 paper - Watering the streets.--A paper has been circulated among our merchants for signatures to a subscription fund of $.50 a week to be expended upon the necessary apparatus for watering the main thoroughfare of our village during the "dusty term."

In June 1871 - The new water cart is of domestic manufacture, but seems to be doing its work very well. Mr. Wm. Gleason, who has charge, is faithful in his labors to keep the dust under subjection, and has so far succeeded.

Back in these years the people themselves, not the town government, gave money for improvements. Watering the streets was done by private donation if a person wanted a side-walk in front of their business or house they paid for it to be done. Trees along the streets were planted by private parties also. Davis Park was accomplished all through private donations. Lamps were put up by individuals.

1 Aug. 1872 The Active Base Ball Club was organized in town.

5 Oct. 1881 About a dozen of the French young men of the West side have hired the room in Music hall block, formerly the armory of Co. H, for a gymnasium.

Gypsies passed through the town at different times over the years from 1879 thru 1891 that I have found in the paper. In the 12 Aug. 1885 paper: &nbsplGypsies were in town last week. See that your doors are locked.

Nov. 1881 the first telephone was installed in Killingly.

Feb. 1884 The village barber attempted a few days since to “shampoo” a young lady’s head upon which was a luxuriant growth of hair, of which she has reason to be proud. The tonsorial artist seems to have become bewildered in working over those fine locks and he mixed up the hair so that it could not be straightened out by a day’s hard labor. Several ladies spent almost another day in the same line of work with indifferent success, and to say that the young lady who owns those massive locks is mad, is putting it mild. As the hair is 4 ½ feet in length the poor barber thinks he ought to be pitied rather than blamed.

27 Aug. 1884 Puize & Allard, proprietors of the first-class tonsorial rooms opposite the Attawaugan hotel, have recently placed in their shop an apparatus by which customers can enjoy the luxury of a cold or hot bath, for 25 cents. This is the only public bath in the village, and we hope the enterprising proprietors will receive the patronage they deserve.

Mar. 1886 The Crystal Water Company was ready to bring an abundant supply of water into Danielsonville.

19 May 1886 The steamer “River Queen” arrived at Alexander’s Lake, Friday. It is 50 feet long, 14 wide, and draws 14 feet of water. It was five days coming from Boston to Killingly, being drawn by eight horses, it being too large for transportation by rail—and attracted much attention in the villages and towns along the route. All can now enjoy a fine sail near home without fear of sea sickness. The steamer will be launched at the grand opening of Wildwood Park (Alexander's Lake).

4 Aug. 1886 The Elegant New Steam Yacht “Ethel” at Alexander’s Lake! This steamer is now running under the experienced engineer Capt. C. F. Cobb. It has a government steel boiler, and is 42 feet 6 inches long, 10 feet wide. It is one of the largest and staunchest boats on fresh water in CT, and can be chartered by picnic, church or private parties. Fare to Wildwood Park 10c A 5 mile trip around the lake 20c Children under 12 half fare.

22 June 1887 Traveling musicians—a harpist and violinist—discoursed music on the streets Friday evening.

1890 electricity was coming in, but only in Danielsonville to start.

WCT 25 Mar. 1896 - Charles Burton, who worked in the machine shop of the Quinebaug Mill, lost his life when he tried to save a drowning boy, Frank Barbeau, 12 years old, in the Quinebaug river. At his funeral in the Baptist church in Danielson, there was a large delegation of French people and the father of the Barbeau boy and several of his brothers.

There is a monument in the Old Westfield Cemetery in Danielson erected in 1928 by the Quinebaug Co. "to the memory of their employees who have died, whose names are unknown."

Killingly had a few firsts: In 1809 Mary (Dixon) Kies of South Killingly was the first woman to receive a patent for weaving silk with straw for making bonnets.

The first woman dentist, Dr. Emmeline (Roberts) Jones in 1864. Her husband Daniel Jones was a dentist and he taught his wife. After he died she carried on.


Putnam, Windham County, Connecticut History

The township of Putnam, incorporated in 1855, was made up from parts of Thompson, Killingly and Pomfret. The Quinebaug river, with its great falls in the heart of the village, is its most distinctive physical feature, its main source of life and business prosperity. Manufacturing enterprise, aided by railroads, built up a flourishing village. This village demanded expansion and the liberty to manage its own affairs, and after a desperate struggle obtained town privileges, taking in as much surrounding territory as was needful to give it corporate standing, and by running its south boundary line obliquely, cutting off barren land eastward. This funnel-like conformation of the projected town excited much ridicule during the contest, and it is said that its pictorial presentation before the legislature had much influence in procuring the rejection of the early petitions. But while the manufacturing interests of the town are strongly dominant, Putnam is by no means deficient in agricultural resources. With improved culture and immediate market, farming has made great advances. Dairying and market gardening are remunerative industries. There are many good farms in the vicinity of the valley and in the former South Neighborhood. The Assawaga or Five Mile river in the east of the town furnishes a number of mill privileges. The recent discovery and utilizing of the Aspinock Mineral Spring at Putnam Heights is likely to prove of much benefit to this section.

Though Putnam is one of the youngest towns in Windham county, and is pre-eminently a growth of modern civilization, its roots reach far backward. The High Falls were noted far back in aboriginal days. The surrounding valley was a favorite resort of the red man long before Lieutenant John Sabin crossed the Woodstock line into the wilderness of Connecticut. An Indian trail ran southeast from the falls toward Rhode Island before Peter Aspinwall cut his way through the woods to make a path to Providence. The ” Joseph Cady farm,” east of Putnam village (now owned’ by Mr. Eli Davis), was noted for producing a remarkable variety and quantity of medicinal herbs and roots, much used by the ” medicine men ” of the Indians. It is traditionally reported that Indians came from a great distance to gather these herbs, and that in consequence this locality was made a sacred haven, where no bloodshed was lawful, and tribal foes might meet in safety. The Falls were noted for their remarkable facilities for fishing, especially when shad and salmon were trying to ascend them.

The first known settler within the limits of the present Putnam was Richard Evans of Rehoboth, who purchased for twenty pounds a grant of wild land laid out to Reverend James Pierpont, of New Haven, and is described in 1693, ” as resident of said granted premises.” The farm was further described as bounded by wilderness and about three miles from Woodstock. Very little can be learned of this first settler east of the Quinebaug, except the fact that he occupied the farm now owned by Mr. William Holland, and that in about twenty years he and his son Richard were in possession of ” two tenement of houses, barns, orchards, tanning pits and fulling mill,” all testifying strongly to their thrift and industry.

Lieutenant Peter Aspinwall, of Woodstock, was apparently second on the field, and the first resident within the bounds of the present Putnam village. Sent by Woodstock, in 1691, ” to make a way unto the cedar swamp, on the other side of the Quinebaug, for a road to Providence,” during the progress of the work he removed his residence to the valley, but not probably until the close of the Indian war of 1695-98, and his marriage to the widow of John Leavens. Lieutenant Aspinwall was a very prominent man in Woodstock, one of its original pioneers and settlers.

He was also very active in military affairs, serving as scout and ranger during the troublesome warfare. Remaining a bachelor till somewhat late in life, he was apparently unfortunate in his matrimonial venture, “the widow and her sons keeping him low,” according to the Aspinwall chronicle. These step-sons, particularly James and Joseph Leavens, were the first business men -within Putnam limits, being employed by James Corbin, trader at Woodstock, to collect tar for Boston market. It was while engaged in this service that Joseph, the younger brother, received a wound in the thumb from a rattlesnake, and only saved his life by immediate amputation. Rattlesnake hill, near Five Mile river, ” half a mile long and a hundred rods broad,” was the scene of this adventure, and was one of the early land purchases of the brothers. James Leavens also owned a mill privilege on Five Mile river, believed to be the site of Hawkins’ mills, and carried on the first saw mill east of the Quinebaug.

The Providence road cut by Peter Aspinwall wound around the base of Killingly hill to this mill, and accommodated customers. The Assawaga received its English name from the fact that the first land laid out upon it was ” supposed to be about five miles from Woodstock,” the only settlement in the section. Peter Aspinwall’s farm was south of the Providence road, bordering on the Quinebaug. Its site can be identified by the old burying ground, its north or northeast extremity, which he gave to the town of Killingly.

The first settlers north of the Providence road were the inevitable ” three brothers ” of all New England settlements-Nicholas, Daniel and Joseph Cady, from Groton, Mass., soon after 1700. Nicholas settled first north of Killingly hill, but removed to a fine farm on Whetstone brook. His brother Joseph purchased the wilderness land held in such repute by the Indians, a mile east of the Quinebaug. He was a man of great strength and prowess, much respected by the Indians, able it was said to beat their strongest warriors in wrestling. A bunch of the sacred herbs, suspended over his cabin door, served as an amulet against assault or surprise. As soon as circumstances warranted Captain Cady erected the large house still standing in tolerable preservation, and owned by Mr. Eli Davis. It was considered an old house in 1774, when after the demise of the second Joseph Cady it was sold to Lieutenant-Governor Sessions, of Rhode Island. Daniel Cady’s homestead was north of Joseph’s, and after a few years passed into the hands of William Larned, who built a large house near the angle of the roads, whose frame forms part of the present residence of Mr. William Plummer. These two old houses merit commemoration as the oldest now standing within the limits of Putnam village, and connected with its early settlement.

One of the original owners of Killingly hill was John Allen, of Marlborough, Mass., a man of means with sons to settle in life. Among his purchases was a very valuable interval, comprising 160 acres upon the Quinebaug, “near a pair of falls, fifty rods above the mouth of Mill river, extending up stream to a crook of the river, near the mouth of a small brook running into the river ” (east side). All the above settlers purchased their land before Killingly was made a town, and called themselves in their several land deeds, inhabitants of Aspinock, near the Quinebaug. This picturesque name seems to have been applied to the valley east of the river from the Cady settlements to Lake Mashapaug, but was laid aside after Killingly was organized in 1708. Its derivation and signification are still doubtful.

West side the Quinebaug the first settler was Captain John Sabin. Although his fine old mansion was just outside the line dividing Putnam from Pomfret, yet his ownership of the land and intimate connection with the first settlement of the Quinebaug gives him a prominent place among Putnam notables. His settlement even preceded that of Richard Evans, dating back to 1691, and his services during the subsequent Indian wars, by maintaining fortifications upon the frontier and restraining and ” subsisting ” the Indians, were publicly recognized by Massachusetts and Connecticut governments. He was made lieutenant of Woodstock’s first military company, captain of Pomfret’s first company and sergeant-major of Windham county’s first troop of horse. He was also Pomfret’s first representative to general court and one of the most prominent and respected citizens of Windham county. Owning much land in the valley, many building sites passed to his sons, furnishing three or four ” old Sabin Houses ” within the limits of Putnam. His own historic mansion, demolished with great labor and difficulty by Mr. William I. Bartholomew in 1835, was just south of Woodstock line. This homestead descended to his son Noah. His son John adopted the medical profession and settled in Franklin, Conn. His son, Lieutenant Hezekiah Sabin, was the first resident proprietor of Thompson hill. His daughter Judith married Joseph Leavens, of Killingly, receiving for her marriage portion a beautiful farm upon Lake Mashapaug.

Captain John Sabin is most intimately connected with Putnam as the builder of the first bridge over the Quinebaug below the High Falls, in 1722. For more than twenty years Peter Aspinwall had besought the assembly for liberty to build a bridge at this point, showing that the want of such convenience had been a grievous burden and affliction to travelers and himself, the river being exceedingly high and swift and not always fordable. Leading citizens of Pomfret reiterated the complaint, that the Quinebaug was at some seasons impassable, and that persons had endangered their lives in trying to pass, but the assembly turned a deaf ear to all petitions for relief. Captain Sabin, with his usual energy, threw himself into the breach, and with his sons’ aid built a good, substantial bridge, costing £120, and then called upon the government for reimbursement. The committee sent to inspect reported the bridge built in suitable place, out of danger of being carried away by floods or ice, the height of bridge being above any flood yet known by any men living there thought it would be very serviceable to a great part of the government in traveling to Boston, being at least ten miles the nearest way according to their judgment. Three hundred acres of land on the east side of the Connecticut river were accordingly granted, on condition of keeping the bridge in repair ” fourteen years next coming.”

The second settler within the present limits of Putnam village was Jonathan Eaton, of Dedham, who in 1703 bought land on both sides of the Quinebaug, at what was called the Upper Falls, now improved by the Putnam Manufacturing Company. His home was on the west side of the river, in what was then known as ” a Peculiar,” viz., a strip of land unassigned to any town. Even Killingly, which exercised rights in the territory of Thompson long before it was legally assigned to her, levied no taxes west side the river. Being thus cut off from civil relations, we can learn little of this early settler excepting the fact that, though not compelled bylaw, he carried his numerous children to be duly baptized in Woodstock meeting house, and that he was elected deacon of the church in Thompson parish. With two traveled roads near his dwelling, he probably exercised the privilege of entertaining travelers. Above the Upper Falls the Quinebaug was easily forded in low water, and an Indian trail trodden out in time to a bridle path connected his establishment with the Cady settlement. The mill privilege owned by Deacon Eaton was improved by his sons, at a much later date.

The third family within the bounds of Putnam village was probably that of Samuel Perrin, who, with Peter Aspinwall and Benjamin Griggs, secured a deed of land from Major James Fitch in 1703, both sides the Quinebaug, below its junction with Mill brook. According to tradition, this land was purchased of the Indians, and it seems improbable that so valuable a tract should have been sold at so low a figure by a veteran land jobber unless there had been a prior claim upon it. Aspinwall, as we, have seen, took the land east of the river Griggs sold his share to Samuel Paine. The Perrin farm was retained in the family for several generations. How soon Samuel Perrin took possession of this purchase is not apparent, as he still retained his Woodstock residence, but soon after 1714 he built the well known ” old Perrin House,” so familiar to older residents of this section. It was probably first cultivated by his younger brother David, who died early, unmarried, and was made over to his son, Ensign Samuel Perrin, after his marriage to Dorothy Morris in 1724.

During this period many others had gathered in the South Neighborhood and eastward on the Assawaga. Tames Leavens’ saw mill passed into the hands of Isaac and John Cutler, of Lexington, Mass. The former had many sons settling in that vicinity, building gambrel roofed houses, one of which still stands, “the old Cutler House,” near the Rhode Island line. John Cutler died early, leaving numerous children. Part of his original farm was lost by a re-settlement of the above line, and his son Hezekiah removed to the vicinity of Killingly hill. The first meeting house in Killingly was built a little south of this hill, near the Providence road, in 1715, and encouraged settlement in that vicinity. The first minister, Reverend John Fisk, had his residence west of the hill.

Putnam’s first settler, Richard Evans, had now removed, and his home farm was occupied by Simon Bryant, of Braintree, who purchased house, barn, orchard, tanning pits, etc., in 1712. His oldest daughter, Hannah, married William Larned in 1715, and their son Simon succeeded to the Evans farm, the first land laid out east of the Quinebaug in this section, now owned by Mr. W. R. Holland. Thomas Whitmore settled north of Simon Bryant at an early date, on the farm now improved by Mr. G. W. Whittlesy. George Blanchard occupied land southward now held by 111r. William Converse. Michael Felshaw secured the farm still southward, reaching to the brow of Killingly hill. The farm now improved by the family of the late J. O. Fox was first owned by James Wilson. Near him was the residence of Jonathan Hughes, whose son Edmond set out the ” Great Elm,” so famous in revolutionary annals. John Johnson’s homestead was upon the site of the present residence of Mr. James Arnold. Samuel Lee purchased the northern part of what is now known as Parks hill, and built the house afterward occupied by Deacon Lusher Gay and his descendants. He died before 1730, at which date his widow, Mary Lee, was licensed to keep a house of public entertainment.

A granddaughter of Captain Joseph Cady, who afterward married Deacon Gay, delighted in old age to tell of ” a puppet show ” which she attended at this public house when she was six years old, viz., in 1731. There were many little girls and boys growing up in the vicinity at. that date. Deacon Eaton had eight or nine, Simon Bryant had seven daughters, William Larned seven sons, Joseph Leavens had eight daughters and three sons, the Cady and Lee children could hardly be numbered, and it is pleasant to know that they had this evening’s entertainment. ‘Up to this date there is no evidence that they even had the privilege of attending school, but were probably taught at home by fathers and mothers. The boys of the neighborhood enjoyed special privileges in fishing, the Quinebaug being famous for shad, salmon and lamprey eels. The latter were caught in ingeniously constructed weirs or ” eel-pots ” suckers were speared by torchlight. The Indians were very skillful fishermen, and initiated their favorites into some of the mysteries of their art. An Indian girl ” was included in the inventory of Captain John Sabin’s possessions. An Indian family occupied a wigwam beside a huge boulder near the site of the Davis ice house, self-selected tributaries to Captain Cady, who had rescued them from some great peril. Both he and Captain Sabin were greatly respected by their Indian neighbors. An old squaw thus expressed her emotion, upon the return of the former from military service: ” 0 Massa Cady, I glad to see you! I so glad if I had a whole pint of rum I drink it all down myself.” Excessive indulgence in the use of cider, and any other liquor they could lay hands on, accelerated the dying out of these natives. Old Quaco, the last of his race, was tenderly cared for down to his last hours by the Perrin family.

In 1730 the privilege of the Great Falls was utilized by David Howe of Mendon, clothier, who purchased the point of land between the Quinebaug and Mill rivers, beginning forty rods above the falls, from Captain John Sabin and his son Noah. A dwelling house, grist mill, malt house and dye house were soon set up and in motion, accommodating his own neighborhood and adjacent parts of Pomfret and Killingly. Thompson parish had now been incorporated, taking in all the east side residents north of the falls. Killingly hill was gaining new inhabitants. Increasing development called for more roads and better traveling facilities.


Service history [ edit | wysig bron]

Quinnebaug departed Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on 17 October 1878 for fitting out at Norfolk, Virginia. She got underway in January 1879 and reached Gibraltar on 2 February to begin a decade of service on the European Station, interrupted only by a brief visit home in the summer of 1881. During this service she operated for the most part in the Mediterranean, steaming from the straits to the Levant and visiting numerous ports along both the European and African coasts of that ancient sea and center of culture. She also usually made an annual cruise along the Atlantic Coast of Europe visiting ports in Spain, Portugal, France, England, Denmark and Germany. Three of her crew received the Medal of Honor for rescuing shipmates from drowning during this period: Landsman Patrick J. Kyle at Mahón, Minorca, on 13 March 1879, and Seaman Apprentice Second Class August Chandron and Boatswain's Mate Hugh Miller at Alexandria, Egypt, on 21 November 1885. ΐ]

Departing Gibraltar on 9 May 1889, Quinnebaug returned to the New York Navy Yard on 17 June 1889. She decommissioned there on 3 July, was struck from the Navy List on 21 November 1889, and was sold on 25 March 1891.


Connecticut Indian Tribes

Mahican Indians. The northwestern corner of Litchfield County was occupied by the Wawyachtonoc, a tribe of the Mahican Confederacy of the upper Hudson, though their main seats were in Columbia and Dutchess Counties, N. Y. (See New York.)

Mohegan Indians. The name means “wolf.” They are not to be confused with the Mahican. Also called:

  • River Indians.
  • Seaside People.
  • Unkus [Uncas] Indians, from the name of their chief.
  • Upland Indians.

Mohegan Connections. The Mohegan belonged to the Algonquian linguistic stock and spoke a y-dialect closely related to Pequot.

Mohegan Location. The Mohegan originally occupied most of the upper valley of the Thames and its branches. Later they claimed authority over some of the Nipmuc and the Connecticut River tribes, and in the old Pequot territory. (See also New York.)

  • Ashowat, between Amston and Federal.
  • Catantaquck, near the head of Pachaug River.
  • Checapscaddock, southeast of the mouth of Shetucket River in the town of
  • Preston.
  • Kitemaug, on the west wide of Thames River between Uncasville and Massapeag.
  • Mamaquaog, on Natchaug River northeast of Willimantic.
  • Mashantackack, near Palmertown, town of Montville.
  • Massapeag, at the place now so-called’ on the west side of Thames River. Mohegan, at the present town of Mohegan on the west side of Thames River.
  • Moosup, at the present Moosup in the town of Plainfield.
  • Nawhesetuck, on Fenton River north of Willimantic.
  • Pachaug, at the present Pachaug in the town of Griswold.
  • Paugwonk, near Gardiner Lake in the town of Salem.
  • Pautexet, near the present Jewett City in the town of Griswold.
  • Pigscomsuck, on the right bank of Quinebaug River near the present line between
  • New London and Windham Counties.
  • Poquechanneeg, near Lebanon.
  • Poquetanock, near Trading Cove, town of Preston.
  • Shantuck, on the west side of Thames River just north of Mohegan.
  • Showtucket or Shetucket, near Lisbon in the fork of the Shetucket and Quinebaug Rivers.
  • Wauregan, on the east side of Quinebaug River in the town of Plainfield.
  • Willimantic, on the site of the present city of Willimantic.
  • Yantic, at the present Yantic on Yantic River.

Mohegan History. The Mohegan were probably a branch of the Mahican. Originally under Sassacus, chief of the Pequot, they afterward became independent and upon the destruction of the Pequot in 1637, Uncas, the Mohegan chief, became ruler also of the remaining Pequot and set up pretensions to territory north and west beyond his original borders. At the end of King Philip’s War, the Mohegan were the only important tribe remaining in southern New England, but as the White settlements advanced they were reduced progressively both in territory and in numbers. Many joined the Scaticook, and in 1788 a still larger body united with the Brotherton in New York, where they formed the largest single element in the new settlement. The rest continued in their old town at Mohegan, where a remnant of mixed bloods still survives.

Mohegan Population. The number of Mohegan were estimated by Mooney (1928) at 2,200 in 1600 in 1643, including the remnant of the Pequot and perhaps other tribes, at between 2,000 and 2,500. In 1705 they numbered 750 in 1774, 206 were reported in 1804, 84 in 1809, 69 in 1825, 300 in 1832, about 350 in 1910, 22.

Connection in which the Mohegan Indians have become noted. The Mohegan became celebrated on account of the services rendered the Whites by Uncas. Today their name is perpetuated in Mohegan, on Thames River, and the name of their chief in Uncasville on the same stream. There a post village of this name in McDowell County, W. Va., and Mohegan Lake in Westchester County, N. Y., but this is named after the Mahican.

Western Niantic Indians. Regarding the name, see Niantic, Eastern, under Rhode Island.

Western Niantic Connections. These were the same as for the Eastern Niantic. (See Rhode Island.)

Western Niantic Ligging. On the seacoast from Niantic Bay to Connecticut River.

  • Niantic or Nehantucket, near the present town of Niantic.
  • There was another near Old Lyme.

Western Niantic Geskiedenis. Originally the Western Niantic are thought to have constituted one tribe with the Eastern Niantic and to have been cut apart from them by the Pequot. They were nearly destroyed in the Pequot war and at its close (1637) were placed under the control of the Mohegan. About 1788 many joined the Brotherton Indians. A small village of Niantic was reported as existing near Danbury in 1809, but this perhaps contained remnants of the tribes of western Connecticut, although Speck (1928) found several Indians of mixed Niantic-Mohegan descent living with the Mohegan remnant, descendants of a pure-blood Niantic woman from the mouth of Niantic River.

Western Niantic Bevolking. The Western Niantic population was estimated by Mooney (1928) at 600 in 1600 there were about 100 in 1638 85 in 1761.

Connection in which the Western Niantic Indians have become noted. The name of the Western Niantic is perpetuated in Niantic village, Niantic River, and Niantic Bay, in New London County. Post villages in Macon County, Ill., and Montgomery County, Pa., bear the name Niantic.

Nipmuc Indians. Some bands of this tribe extended into the northeastern part of the State. (See Massachusetts.)

Pequot Indians. The name means, according to Trumbull (1818), “destroyers.” Also called:

Pequot Connections. The Pequot belonged to the Algonquian linguistic stock, and spoke a y-dialect closely related to Mohegan.

Pequot Location. The Pequot occupied the coast of New London County from Niantic River nearly to the Rhode Island State line. Until driven out by the Narraganset, they extended into Rhode Island as far as Wecapaug River. (See also Rhode Island.)

  • Asupsuck, in the interior of the town of Stonington.
  • Aukumbumsk or Awcumbuck, in the center of the Pequot country near Gales Ferry.
  • Aushpook, at Stonington.
  • Cosattuck, probably near Stonington. Cuppanaugunnit, probably in New London County.
  • Mangunckakuck, probably on Thames River below Mohegan.
  • Maushantuxet, at Ledyard.
  • Mystic, near West Mystic on the west side of Mystic River.
  • Monhunganuck, near Beach Pond in the town of Voluntown.
  • Nameaug, near New London.
  • Noank, at the present place of that name.
  • Oneco, at the place of that name in the town of Sterling.
  • Paupattokshick, on the lower course of Thames River.
  • Pawcatuck, probably on the river of the same name, Washington County, R. I. Pequotauk, near New London.
  • Poquonock, inland from Poquonock Bridge.
  • Sauquonckackock, on the west side of Thames River below Mohegan.
  • Shenecosset, near Midway in the town of Groton.
  • Tatuppequauog, on the Thames River below Mohegan.
  • Weinshauks, Dear Groton.
  • Wequetequock, on the east side of the river of the same name.

Pequot History. The Pequot and the Mohegan are supposed to have been invaders from the direction of Hudson River. At the period of first White contact, the Pequot were warlike and greatly dreaded by their neighbors. They and the Mohegan were jointly ruled by Sassacus until the revolt of Uncas, the Mohegan chief. (See Mohegan.) About 1635 the Narraganset drove them from a corner of the present Rhode Island which they had previously held, and 2 years later the murder of a trader who had treated some Indians harshly involved the Pequot in war with the Whites. At that time their chief controlled 26 subordinate chiefs, claimed authority over all Connecticut east of Connecticut River, and on the coast as far west as New Haven or Guilford, as well as all of Long Island except the extreme western end. Through the influence of Roger Williams, the English secured the assistance or neutrality of the surrounding tribes. Next they surprised and destroyed the principal Pequot fort near Mystic River along with 600 Indians of all ages and both sexes, and this disaster crippled the tribe so much that, after a few desperate attempts at further resistance, they determined to separate into small parties and abandon the country (1637). Sassacus and a considerable body of followers were intercepted near Fairfield while trying to escape to the Mohawk and almost all were killed or captured. Those who surrendered were divided among the Mohegan, Narraganset, and Niantic, and their territory passed under the authority of Uncas. Their Indian overlords treated them so harshly, however, that they were taken out of their hands by the colonists in 1655 and settled in two villages near Mystic River, where some of their descendants still live. Numbers removed to other places Long Island, New Haven, the Nipmuc country, and elsewhere while many were kept as slaves among the English in New England or sent to the West Indies.

Pequot Population. The Pequot population was estimated by Mooney (1928) at 2,200 in 1600 in 1637, immediately after the Pequot war, there were said to be 1,950, but the figure is probably too high. In 1674 the Pequot in their old territory numbered about 1,500 in 1762, 140. In 1832 there were said to be about 40 mixed-bloods, but the census of 1910 gave 66, of whom 49 were in Connecticut and 17 in Massachusetts.

Connection in which the Pequot Indians have become noted. The Pequot are remembered principally on account of the bitter and, to them, disastrous war related above. The name is borne by a post village in Crow Wing County, Minn.

Wappinger Indians. The valley of Connecticut River was the home of a number of bands which might be called Mattabesec after the name of the most important of them, and this in turn was a part of the Wappinger. (See New York.)


Quinnebaug I - History

Detail for a Map exhibiting the route of the Norwich & Worcester rail-road surveyed by James P. Kirkwood, James Laurie (Civil Engineers). ongeveer 1835 - Connecticut Historical Society and Connecticut History Illustrated

An ad for the Norwich and Worcester Rail-Road for contractors from the September 17, 1836, edition of the Hartford Times

On August 28, 1837, the directors of the Norwich and Worcester Railroad celebrated the completion of the Taft Tunnel in Lisbon. The first railroad tunnel in Connecticut and among the earliest tunnels built in America it remains one of the oldest railroad tunnels still in active use. Dr. Nott, of Franklin, delivered the prayer at the dedication and Asa Child, Esq., general agent of the company, delivered the address to the assembled crowd.

At this time, Railroad transportation was relatively new to Connecticut, which chartered its first railroads in 1832. Built to connect the waters of Long Island Sound with the manufacturing heart of Massachusetts, the Norwich to Worcester line covered the route in the shortest possible distance. In a study conducted by Roger Huntington prior to its construction, Huntington estimated that businesses transported 15,000 tons of goods along this route annually (excluding the towns of Norwich and Worcester). The goods included paper and iron as well as products from the 27 woolen and 75 cotton mills along the route.

James Laurie, co-founder of the American Society of Civil Engineers and chief engineer for the railroad, oversaw the project. Due to the drastic change in elevation near Quinnebaug Falls it became necessary to tunnel through the hill. Builders initially found much of the rock to be unstable and a passage from the summit to the foundation had to be opened for 75 feet before the men could even begin to tunnel through solid rock. The result was a slightly curved, narrow tunnel measuring 300 feet long by 23 feet wide and 18 feet high. The tunnel is currently part of the Providence and Worcester Railroad.

Taftville Tunnel. Photograph by an unknown photographer, ca. 1900 – Connecticut Historical Society


Leicester, Massachusetts, USA Genealogy

Ancestors Who Were Born or Died in Leicester, Massachusetts, USA

We currently have information about ancestors who were born or died in Leicester.

Ancestors Who Were Married in Leicester, Massachusetts, USA

We currently have information about ancestors who were married in Leicester.

Not the place you are looking for? Try again!

USS Quinnebaug (SP-1687)

Die derde USS Quinnebaug was the Old Dominion steamship Jefferson temporarily converted for planting the World War I North Sea Mine Barrage. John Roach & Sons launched Jefferson at Chester, Pennsylvania on 14 October 1898. Jefferson steamed between Norfolk, Virginia and New York City until The United States Shipping Board took control of the ship from Old Dominion Steamship Company in 1917. She was fitted out for United States Navy service at Robins' Dry Dock and Repair Company at Brooklyn, New York. The minelaying conversion enabled her to carry mines on two decks, and included four Otis elevators individually capable of transferring two mines every 20 seconds from the storage deck to the launching deck. USS Quinnebaug was commissioned on 23 March 1918 with Commander D. Pratt Mannix, USN, in command. While operating as part of Mine Squadron 1 out of Inverness, Scotland, from 14 July until the close of the war on 11 November 1918, Quinnebaug: Ώ]

  • planted 600 mines during the 3rd minelaying excursion on 14 July,
  • planted 600 mines during the 4th minelaying excursion on 29 July,
  • planted 610 mines during the 6th minelaying excursion on 18 August,
  • planted 590 mines during the 7th minelaying excursion on 26 August,
  • planted 600 mines during the 8th minelaying excursion on 7 September,
  • planted 600 mines during the 9th minelaying excursion on 20 September,
  • planted 610 mines during the 10th minelaying excursion on 27 September,
  • planted 610 mines during the 11th minelaying excursion on 4 October,
  • planted 615 mines during the 12th minelaying excursion on 13 October, and
  • planted 610 mines during the final 13th minelaying excursion on 24 October.

Quinnebaug then returned to the United States for decommissioning and return to Old Dominion Steamship Company in 1919.


Kyk die video: Quinebaug Mills (Augustus 2022).